13 May 2008

Lunch

I went to sit by the river for my dinner today, the benches were full of old ladies and tourists, those that didn't have a bench hovered expectantly around one until it became available.

So governed by the laws of laziness I opted out of mad dashes for bench space and sat on the riverbank, a cobbled edge sloping down to a lower platform that runs by the river.

The sun was shining, the ladies walking by were particularly fine and I munched away feeling good about the world.

It was only when I got back to my desk at work when I noticed the unmistakable smell of river. Its not a horrendous smell. Its not a pleasant smell, its not even a powerful smell. It is just that smell that seems to pervade everywhere around you, giving the area around you that slight classic leaf mould smell that has never successfully sold as a fragrance for a reason.

Needless to say it seems that one of the rivers more recent floods must have coated the bank with a good ol' layer of river dirt that seeped into my trousers.

Bloody Brilliant...

1 comment:

Z said...

The large brown stain on the back of your trousers gave it away too, I daresay.