14 February 2008

Valentines Day

Valentines Day can either be a fantastically romantic day or the day you feel like the worlds greatet social reject.

However you look at it though, valentines day is one of the most commercialy driven yet socially significant events in the westernised world. It reminds us all to take a step back and look at what is really important, or more significantly WHO is really important.

My valentines days have varied significantly over teh past, from lonely, to sex filled to romantic meals I have done the works. Though I do regret sometimes that no relationship I have been in has reached a two valentines day mark.

I think my strangest valentines day was a few years back, when I was 21. The girl I was seeing was only 17 at the time, slightly pervy but there you go. She got me a teddybear and a HUGE card. It was filled with sweet words and so on, but never the less I could not help but feel a little self concious that I was walking through Leeds looking like a mobile Hallmark vendor.

When I was at highschool I was seeing this girl frmo college, my boyish charms won her over I guess. I was 15, she was 17. I never mentioned my age, she thought I was around the same age as her I think.

We had only been going out for a couple of weeks, leaving me at the akward not knowing her, not wanting to get anything too big to make me look too eager and not wanting to get something too small to make her think im not bothered.

So I took her for a meal, single red rose in hand and then things started to go wrong. As we left the resteraunt she looked a little unhappy, as we progressed through the night she became more and more depressed. Finally the night ended with her slapping me and proclaiming me a cheat and a cheapskate.

I was fairly nonplussed by this, what the hell had I done?

The next day my maet asked me how the date had gone, a big grin on his face.

Suspicion ran through my mind faster than the japanese public transport system.

"why?"

I query

"Well I bumped into that girl you were seeing amte, thought I would suggest what kind of brilliant present you had undoubtedly bought her."

"What did you say!" I start forward, realising that this guy might have lost me a two year older girl, an astounding achievment at my age.

"I may have mentioned seeing you buy something gold and sparkly" he says, not getting much further as I start seeing red.

1 comment:

Broke But Still Drinking said...

I just added your link. I didn't know who requested it before. I visit your site quite a bit. I'm a big fan. I like to know what my mates in the UK are up too.